Ignatian Yoga came to life in 2016 when two yoga-loving Jesuits, Bobby Karle and Fr. Frank Buckley, led a retreat at The Center of Blessed Sacrament in Hollywood, CA. A few months later Bobby teamed up with Alan Haras, Detroit-based yoga instructor and Ignatian spirituality guide, to offer a retreat at Sts. Peter and Paul Jesuit parish in downtown Detroit. Realizing the enthusiasm and interest in this integration of these two traditions – Ignatian spirituality and yoga – Bobby and Alan partnered up to develop a weekend retreat program and establish Ignatian Yoga as an organization sponsored by the Midwest Province of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). Ignatian Yoga continues to grow as a collaborative ministry led by Jesuits and lay people formed in both the Ignatian and Yoga traditions.
Ignatian Yoga Weekend Retreats:
- May 19-21, 2017 @ the Jesuit Spiritual Center in Milford, OH
- February 2-4, 2018 @ the Mariandle Center in Ossining, NY
- May, 2018 @ the Jesuit Spiritual Center in Milford, OH
- June 30-July 1, 2018 @ the Jesuit Retreat Center in Parma, OH
- February 1-3, 2019 @ the Bellarmine Retreat House in Barrington, IL
- May 31-June 2, 2019 @ the Cenacle in Chicago
- August 11-13, 2019 @ Ignatius House in Atlanta
- October 25-27, 2019 @ the Jesuit Retreat Center in Los Altos, CA
- November 22-24, 2019 @ the Bellarmine Retreat Center in Barrington, IL
Locations of Ignatian Yoga day and evening programs:
- Blessed Sacrament Parish Hollywood, Sts. Peter and Paul Detroit, Boston College, The College of the Holy Cross, University of Detroit Mercy, St. Francis Xavier Parish NYC, Brebeuf Jesuit Indianapolis, Santa Clara University, Loyola University Chicago, Loyola Academy Wilmette, Marquette University, Fordham University, St. Ignatius Riverview Sydney, Australia, St. Ignatius parish Sacramento, and more.
- March 20-22, 2020: New York with special guest Fr. Francis X. Clooney SJ
- June 14-16, 2020 in Cleveland, OH
- August 14-16, 2020 in Tijuana, Mexico
Dreams for the future
- Ignatian pilgrimage in Spain
- 5 and 8-day Ignatian Yoga one-on-one directed retreat
- Online classes and formation
- Social justice immersions
A timeline of Ignatian Yoga:
- Summer, 2013: Bobby Karle, SJ and Alan Haras began conversation about the integration of Ignatian spirituality and Yoga
- Fall, 2013: Bobby started Chapel Yoga at Fordham University that continues today under the guidance of Carol Gibney
- July 2016: Bobby and Frank Buckley, SJ led the first Ignatian Yoga workshop in Hollywood
- October, 2016: Alan and Bobby led an Ignatian Yoga half-day retreat at the Jesuit parish in Detroit
- May, 2016: First Ignatian Yoga weekend retreat at the Jesuit Spiritual Center in Milford, OH
- November, 2017: Bobby leads five-day retreat in Australia
- May, 2018: The Ignatian Yoga Core Team is formed with Bobby, Alan, Pat Cassidy and Carolyn Swabek. The Core Team serves as an advisory committee, participates in monthly meetings, determines future retreats, retreat teams, and hiring of staff.
- Summer of 2018 “Ignatian Yoga” name and original logo is trademarked in order to ensure that it will be offered in a way that is consistent, thoughtful, and respectful of both traditions.
- 2018-19 school year: Monthly Ignatian Yoga classes on BC High
- October, 2018 IY hired Nicki Nelson as the administrative assistant. Nicki has contributed significantly to the team by improving our communication and organizational structure.
- April, 2019 IY hired director of social media.
- Summer, 2019 the Ignatian Yoga team began a rebranding process including a short documentary and new logo