Grounded in both the Ignatian and Yoga traditions, our Ignatian Yoga Teachers are an integral part of the Ignatian Yoga Community. The Teacher Formation Program (IYTFP) is a six-month online program that prepares yoga teachers to be able to offer Ignatian Yoga classes and workshops within their own communities.
IYTFP is designed for individuals who have a foundational understanding of Ignatian Spirituality, and who have already completed a 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training. This training is registered with the Yoga Alliance for 50 hours of CE credits.
Each month, you will work through a module at your own pace. Each module consists of videos, audio files, and supplemental readings. There will be a short quiz and personal reflection at the end of each module, as well as a monthly Integration Call in which you will be invited by current Ignatian Yoga team members to deepen and personalize your experience with the content. This work will take approximately 10 hours a month, for a total of 60 hours.
In addition to the content above, you are expected to commit to 30 minutes of personal practice each day.
The six modules are:
MODULE 1: Seeing Ignatius Through Yogic Eyes
MODULE 2: A Charism of Dialogue
MODULE 3: Root Texts
MODULE 4: Yoga as Contemplative Education
MODULE 5: Teaching Yoga as Community Building
MODULE 6: The Cardoner Experience: Putting the Pieces Together
Due to the depth of these traditions, it is outside the scope of the IYTFP to provide introductions to either of them. The IYTFP is most appropriate for those who already have a working knowledge and personal practice in both traditions. As such, the following are considered prerequisites to acceptance into the IYTFP:
- Ignatian-based formation
- Examples may include:
- worked in a Jesuit institution for at least one year
- completed more than one multi-day Ignatian retreat
- former Jesuit Volunteer
- completed Ignatian-based Spiritual Direction training
- Examples may include:
- Received spiritual direction for at least three months
- Completed a 200hr certified teacher training
- Include copy of certificate in IYTFP application
- In order to teach yoga you must have completed an RYT 200 in the past ten years.
- One year of Yoga teaching experience
- Return signed copy of IY Ethical Conduct Agreement
- Completion of Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola
- 30-day or 19th Annotation
- Guided by an Ignatian-trained Spiritual Director
- Attended at least one IY in-person Event (Retreat, class, workshop)
- Minimum of 5 years of Yoga practice
The Ignatian Yoga Teacher Formation Program will run from January – June, 2021. Each month there will be online modules, supplemental readings, personal reflection and practice, and live monthly integration calls (which will take place on Zoom).
In addition to the program fee, there are five required textbooks that you will need to purchase from the bookseller of your choice:
- Understanding the Spiritual Exercises by Michael Ivens, SJ
- An Ignatian Spirituality Reader by George W. Traub, SJ
- The Path of the Yoga Sutras by Nicolai Bachman (the audio version is available for free on Hoopla)
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Sri Swami Satchidananda
- The Heart of Yoga by T. K. Desikachar
Community Rate (discounted): $1250
Sustainer Rate (pays for yourself): $1500
Supporter Rate (pays for yourself and supports our community rate): $1750
Additional scholarships are available. Please email email@example.com to inquire.
Applications will open on October 10, 2020 and are due by December 15, 2020.